Sunday, March 14, 2010

dangerous drivers at SCHH

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

.

I took these photos with my cell phone while on my walks. For those familiar with SCHH, the location is between 96 and 98 Stratford Village Way. I walk this route almost every day, sometimes twice a day.

The vehicle that ran off the roadway wiped out a double mailbox on a post and then hit the tree behind it. It ran across the driveway before getting back onto the road.
.
The SAME thing (driver driving off the roadway, wiping out mailboxes) happened on Fenwick Drive within the past couple of months. On that occasion we happened to drive by when the EMS vehicles were there.

During my walks on Stratford Village Way, Colonel Thomas Heyward Drive, Doncaster Lane, and Redtail Drive there have been NUMEROUS times that drivers have come dangerously close to me. There are no sidewalks on these streets, as is the case with most streets at SCHH. I ALWAYS walk at the edge of the roadway facing traffic.

On one occasion a woman actually came back after coming dangerously close to me. She said: "I didn't see you." I was so flabbergasted that I didn't have the presence of mind to say to her: "with vision as poor as yours, you should park your car in your garage and NEVER get behind the wheel again!"

On another occasion a woman actually veered directly TOWARDS me when I was walking on Stratford Village Way. I dove for safety. If I had had a baseball bat, then she would have had a broken windshield.

But, the scariest ones of all are the ones who come dangerously close from BEHIND me. Get the picture here: I'm walking at the edge of the road on the side opposing traffic, and someone comes up from BEHIND me, only feet away. Not only are they driving on the WRONG SIDE OF THE STREET, but there aren't any other vehicles on THEIR side of the street, moving or parked, that might cause them to drive over the centerline. These dangerous drivers are REALLY scary!

During the past year we've had MULTIPLE incidents here of drivers driving their cars into lagoons (wet stormwater management ponds).

The problem has grown WORSE in the 5+ years since we've been here. The Community Association, SCHH Security, SCHH Public Safety Committee, Sun City media (Sunsations (the community's slick magazine), SCHH TV, etc.) have done little or nothing to address the problem. Maybe it's because the Community Association's Board of Directors is controlled by Pulte Homes, and the Community Association is busy defending Pulte Homes, instead of addressing community problems.

IMHO, it's only a matter of time before someone is killed here by one of these dangerous drivers. I hope that it isn't me.
.
.

No comments: