Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Pulte/JD Powers

.
.
Pulte is clever. Early on we were sent a survey that we were encouraged to complete quickly and return. As I recall, the survey was not identified as a JD Powers' survey, and some sort of incentive(s) was offered for completing it and mailing it in quickly. (It was a long time ago and much was going on at the time--leaving one State and moving two households (my mother-in-law) to another, etc. The details of this seemingly insignificant survey are a blur with all that was going on at the time.)

I soon learned that Pulte uses JD Powers "excellence" awards to credit their product and marginalize people like me who say that Pulte's construction is shoddy.

It takes more than a few days, or a few weeks, or even a few months, to find the "skeletons in the closet" in a new house. I didn't find the "skeleton" in the attic (deficient roof truss connections) until we had been here for more than a year. I discovered the other "skeletons" (our leaking roof, deficient stucco, poorly built lagoons, collapsed retaining wall, etc.) after that.

I, along with a LOT of other people, was suckered. In our defense, I and others assumed that the 4th largest house builder in the US, advertising itself as "masterbuilder", knows how to build, and knows how to treat their customers. Boy, was I WRONG!

If I had the opportunity today to complete a JD Powers survey on my Pulte home it would be completely different than the one that I completed years ago, now that I've discovered all the "skeletons in the closet".
.
.

No comments: